Newly rejoined AFI members Heras have produced essential guidance for anyone managing play areas, including sports facilities. To ensure a safe environment the site should be designed from product to perimeter with appropriate manufacturers and installers.
When a good quality and well-designed fence is required which does not contain any safety hazards, as listed in EN 1176 – the play equipment standard, Heras can provide this solution with a practical, attractive and play safe fencing system:
- Posts and rails to be at the right spacing as stated by RoSPA to ensure there are no possible child entrapments, specifically for head, neck and fingers. The Heras’ Tangorail TR800 (Heras TR800 pictured above installed by Proctor Bros) is designed specifically with this in mind.
- Minimum height of 1m (according to British Stands 1722). The Tangorail TR800 is available in heights of 900mm – 1800mm, but for outdoor play areas and facilities where children would be present, we always recommend the minimum of 1200mm.
- Suitable top design. You can imagine the potential accidents waiting to happen with spiked railings, barbed wire and fleur-de-lys split fence pales. The most suitable option we have found is a smooth bow top fencing design, as per the Tangorail TR800 option, no sharp edges or corners!
- Appropriate panel construction. Rigid panels are very common, however when it comes to sites that have uneven ground and tough terrain they would be very costly to install, as each panel would need to be tailored and made to fit. In this scenario it may be that costs could prove prohibitive and lead to unnecessary cutting of corners elsewhere. Luckily, the Tangorail system eliminates all of these issues due to its unique self-raking system. The tubular bars are all made the same (no need for bespoke manufacturing, keeping costs down), with a self-adjusting mechanism so they can be quickly and easily installed regardless of the level of the ground. This also makes for a simple and effective install, reducing the amount of time required on site for the installation.
- Durability. By selecting the most durable railing system, any repairs and maintenance will be minimised. The Tangorail panels and posts have an anti-corrosion coating, which reduces the need for repairs, and the smooth finish makes it more resistant to dirt than other options.
- Rails. These are important to help prevent damage from climbing. The Tangorail railings have horizontal rails as standard.
- Aesthetics. Fencing and railings are not often thought of as attractive or eye catching, however they should be as they form part of the play environment. Having attractive bright colours in the surroundings, can form part of a stimulating, bright and happy environment for the child. Tangorail is available in a range of colours from a traditional green through to bright reds, yellows and blues. Given the unique panel system Tangorail offers, a multi-colour or tailored choice of coloured panels is not cost prohibitive.
Heras is proud to be a member of RoSPA with a Tangorail solution that fully meets RoSPA’s expectations for play area fencing. Heras also offers complementary single and double gates that are fully RoSPA compliant, designed to accompany the Tangorail fencing. Therefore, if you are looking for a perimeter solution with play safety in mind, you know the Tangorail system will not let you down and help in the reduction of avoidable playground accidents.
Find out more here