Lantra and the National Highway Sector Scheme committees have been reviewing the potential impact of COVID-19 on the workforce and in particular the renewal of NHSS/CSCS skills registration cards.
Lantra is developing their approach in line with Government advice and advising everyone to follow the latest guidance from Public Health England – recognising that it is important where possible to maintain critical services and minimise impact on customers and our supply chain. Further updates will be issued as and when required.
FISS/CSCS Card renewals (existing procedures)
To recap, the current rules in place for renewing skills that are due to expire or have already expired on your skills registration card:
1. Individuals can renew their skills 6 months prior to the expiry date on the card and up to 6 months after the expiry date on the card, by successfully achieving the appropriate refresher/update training.
2. Individuals renewing their skills 6 months + 1 day after the expiry date on their card are currently required to complete the full training course(s).
3. Industry currently does not allow individuals onto site where cards are showing expired skills.
Note: Qualifications are not affected as these do not have an expiry date.
FISS/CSCS Card renewals – support measures during COVID-19 crisis
To assist industry in the potential lack of training courses and venues available for renewing and updating skills, Lantra will be extending the renewal period for skills expiring on cards. This will apply from 1st March 2020 up to 28th February 2021 and will be implemented as shown below:
1. If your skills expire between 1st March 2020 and 31st August 2020, the 6 month renewal period will be extended to allow renewal/update training to be completed by 28th February 2021.
2. If your skills expire after 1st September 2020, the 6 month renewal period rules apply.
Learner registrations – yellow sign-off sheet
1. If your learner registration (yellow sign-off sheet) has expired, Lantra will extend the expiry date up to 1st September 2020.
Important message from Lantra and the FISS Committee:
Lantra and the FISS committee are mindful that extending the period in which individuals can renew their skills beyond the expiry date addresses the first part of a bigger challenge. Therefore, Lantra will continue to liaise with the Committees and Industry Bodies to discuss how Principal Contractors, Clients, etc. intend to operate in relation to allowing access on their sites where individuals have not been able to renew their skills.
We would like to thank everybody for their continued hard work and dedication.
Date of release: 20 March 2020